The Scala Plugin is used to turn a normal IntelliJ IDEA into a convenient Scala development environment. In this article, we will discuss how to set up Scala Plugin for IntelliJ IDEA IDE. If you do not have IntelliJ IDEA, you can download it from here.
By default, IntelliJ IDEA does not come with Scala features. Scala Plugin adds Scala features means that we can create Scala/Play Projects, we can create Scala Applications, Scala worksheets, and more.
Scala Plugin contains the following technologies:
- Play Framework
It supports three popular OS Environments: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Setting up Scala Plugin for IntelliJ IDE
Perform the following steps to install Scala Plugin for IntelliJ IDE to develop our Scala-based projects:
- Open IntelliJ IDE:
- Go to Configure at the bottom right and click on the Plugins option available in the drop-down, as shown here:
- This opens the Plugins window as shown here:
- Now click on InstallJetbrainsplugins, as shown in the preceding screenshot.
- Next, type the word Scala in the search bar to see the ScalaPlugin, as shown here:
- Click on the Install button to install Scala Plugin for IntelliJ IDEA.
- Now restart IntelliJ IDEA to see that Scala Plugin features.
- After we re-open IntelliJ IDEA, if we try to access File | New Project option, we will see Scala option in New Project window as shown in the following screenshot to create new Scala or Play Framework-based SBT projects:
We can see the Play Framework option only in the IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate Edition. As we are using CE (Community Edition), we cannot see that option.
It’s now time to start Scala/Play application development using the IntelliJ IDE. You can start developing some Scala/Play-based applications.
To summarize, we got an understanding to Scala Plugin and covered the installation steps for Scala Plugin for IntelliJ.
To learn more about solutions for taking reactive programming approach with Scala, please refer the book Scala Reactive Programming.