Welcome to this week’s web development news bulletin. There’s some interesting new releases, and also news of conflict between 4 of the planet’s biggest tech companies and the W3C.
Web development news from the Packt Hub
Web development news from across the web
- You can now take a sneak peak at WebAssembly Studio. WebAssembly Studio is an online IDE that provides incredible support when using WebAssembly. It’s also a neat place to learn how to use WebAssembly.
- Apple, Google, Mozilla and Microsoft push back against W3C. The 4 companies behind the world’s most popular web browsers have expressed considerable dissatisfaction with W3C’s new DOM 4.1 specification.
- Columbia University’s engineering department launches web development bootcamp. Columbia Engineering has teamed up with Trilogy Education Services to create a 24 week course to teach aspiring developers full-stack skills. “Web development is one of the fastest growing careers in today’s economy with a projected 15% percent growth by 2026” notes Professor Soulaymane Kachani, Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning at Columbia University. “We are proud to partner with Trilogy to expand access to the digital skills New Yorkers need.”
New software releases
- Vue Press, a ‘Vue-powered’ static site generator has been released. Designed to be incredibly simple and easy to use, Vue Press promises to be a useful new way to build single page web applications.
- Parcel V1.7.0 has been released, with lots of exciting new features and improvements. This release includes Vue support (which was a big request from users), and content hashed bundle names to provide support for long-term cacheable files.
- Ember 3.1 and 3.2 released. The release of version 3.1.0 of Ember.js, Ember CLI, and Ember Data has kicked off the beta cycle for Ember sub-projects.
- Devil Box v0.13 released. This is described as a ‘major release which introduces various stabilization and performance fixes as well as ships a very detailed documentation about all customizable features”
- Rails 5.2.0 is out.
- Vulkan 1.1.73 released.