To use a Google calendar with GCalendar, you must make the Google Calendar publicly available. To do so, select the Make this calendar public checkbox on the Share this calendar tab on the Settings screen.
The GCalendar extension allows you to display your Google calendar inside the Joomla! site. Visit http://g4j.laoneo.net/content/extensions/download/cat_view/20-joomla-15x/21-gcalendar.html and download the latest version of the GCalendar suite. Once downloaded, extract the ZIP package and you will get an installation file for one component, three modules, and two plugins. Install these from the Extensions | Install/Uninstall screen.
How to do it…
After installation, follow these steps:
- From the Joomla! administration panel, select Components | GCalendar. This shows you the Google calendar manager screen.
- Click on the Tools link of the Google calendar manager screen, and then click on the System check link. This checks the system requirements and connectivity with Google and shows you the results.
- Resolve any issue raised by a system check. Then click on the GCalendars link, followed by clicking on Please login to connect to Google data. You will see the Google authorization page.
- Click on the Grant access button on the Google accounts page. You will see the list of calendars under Google Calendar.
If you are not logged in to Google already, the Google Login page will be shown. Enter the username and password for your Google account (or create one if you don’t have an account) and click on the Sign In button.
- Select the calendars you want to use on your Joomla! site, and click on the Add button in the toolbar. The calendars are added and you will see them in the list.
- Now select Menus | Main Menu, and click on the New button on the Menu Item Manager: [mainmenu] screen. This will show you the Menu Item: [New] screen.
- Select Internal Link | GCalendar | GCalendar. It will show the Menu Item: [New] screen, as shown in the following screenshot:
- Type a Title for the menu, and select Yes in the Published field. From the Parameters (Basic) section, select a calendar, select the default view, the day the week starts on, and then the date format. You can also add text to display before and after the calendar. Then click on the Save button in the toolbar.
- Preview the site’s frontend and click on the menu item. This shows the Google calendar.
- As you see, you can change the view of the calendar by clicking on any of the view icons shown above the calendar. You can also go to a specific date or month.
Google Calendar is gaining popularity. If you are a user of Google Calendar, you already know how flexible it is. In this article, you saw how to display your Google calendar on your Joomla! site. In the next article we will add a Booking System for Events.
- Adding an Event Calendar to your Joomla! Site using JEvents
- Joomla! 1.5 Top Extensions: Adding a Booking System for Events
- Joomla! 1.5 Top Extensions for Using Languages
- Manually Translating Your Joomla! Site’s Content into Your Desired Language