Installing MCMS 2002 Prerequisites
Before we can proceed with the installation of MCMS itself, we need to install two prerequisites. Installation of MCMS will be halted if these prerequisites are not met.
- J# 2.0 redistributable:
Elements of MCMS Site Manager require the J# redistributable.
- Internet Explorer Web Controls for MCMS:
Portions of the MCMS Web Author make use of the Internet Explorer Web Controls (IEWC), of which a specific MCMS distribution exists for which compilation is unnecessary. These controls, unlike the standard IEWC, are supported as part of an MCMS installation. As they are a prerequisite for MCMS, IEWC can be utilized within your applications. However, ASP.NET 2.0 offers far richer controls for navigation, as we will see later in this book.
J# 2.0 Redistributable
We need to install the Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable to enable the installation of the MCMS Site Manager.
- Download and save the J# 2.0 installer from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f72c74b3-ed0e-4af8-ae63-2f0e42501be1&displaylang=en
- Double-click the installer.
- On the Welcome to Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package Setup page, click Next.
- On the End User License Agreement page, check the I accept the terms of the License Agreement checkbox and click Install.
- Wait while J# 2.0 installs, and when the Setup Complete page appears, click Finish.
Internet Explorer Web Controls for MCMS
Internet Explorer Web Controls (IEWC) are required by the MCMS Web Author.
- Download and save the IEWC installer from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=FAC6350C-8AD6-4BCA-8860-8A6AE3F64448&displaylang=en
- Double-click the installer.
- On the Welcome to the Microsoft Internet Explorer WebControls Setup Wizard page, click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, select the I Agree radio button and click Next.
- On the Confirm Installation page, click Next.
- Wait while the web controls are installed, and when the Installation Complete page appears, click Close.
Installing MCMS 2002 SP1a
- Insert the MCMS 2002 SP1a CD-ROM, and on the splash screen, click Install Components.
- On the Customer Information page, enter your User Name and Organization along with your Product Key and click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, click Accept.
- On the Installation Options page, select the Custom radio button and click Next.
- On the Custom Installation page, deselect the Site Stager item, and click Next.
- On the Summary page, click Install.
- Wait while MCMS 2002 SP1a is installed.
- On the Installation Completed page, uncheck the Launch MCMS Database Configuration Application checkbox, and click Finish.
Remove Temporary Items
Now MCMS SP1a is installed, we can tidy up the temporary items we created earlier to trick the installer.
- Select Start | Run.
- In the Run dialog, type cmd and click OK.
- Execute the following commands:
cscript VS2003ByPass.vbs c:VSTemp remove
- Use Windows Explorer to delete the folders c:VSTemp and c:kb915190.
Install Visual Studio 2005
- Insert the Visual Studio 2005 DVD, and on the splash screen, click Install Visual Studio 2005.
- On the Welcome to the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 installation wizard page, click Next.
- On the Start Page, select the I accept the terms of the License Agreement checkbox, enter your Product Key and Name, and click Next.
- On the Options Page, select the Custom radio button, enter your desired Product install path, and click Next.
- On the second Options Page, select the Visual C# and Visual Web Developer checkboxes within the Language Tools section, and the Tools checkbox within the .NET Framework SDK section. Ensure that all the other options are not selected and click Install.
Feel free to install any additional features you may wish to use. The above selections are all that are required for following the examples in this article.
- Wait (or take a coffee break) while Visual Studio 2005 is installed. When the Finish Page appears, click Finish.
- From the Visual Studio 2005 Setup dialog, you can install the product documentation (MSDN Library) if desired, otherwise click Exit.
- From the Visual Studio 2005 Setup dialog, click Check for Visual Studio Service Releases to install any updates that may be available.
- Click Exit.
Install MCMS SP2
- From the Start Menu, click Run.
- In the Open textbox, enter IISRESET /STOP and click OK.
- Wait while the IIS Services are stopped.
- Double-click the SP2 installation package.
- On the Welcome to Microsoft Content Management Server 2002 SP2 Installation Wizard page, click Next.
- Select I accept the terms of this license agreement radio button, and click Next.
- On The wizard is ready to begin the installation page, click Next.
- Wait while Service Pack 2 is installed.
- On The Installation Wizard has completed page, click Finish.
- If prompted, click Yes on the dialog to restart your computer, which will complete the installation.
- Otherwise, from the Start Menu, click Run.
- In the Run textbox, enter IISRESET /START and click OK to restart the IIS services.
Stopping IIS prior to the installation of SP2 avoids potential problems with replacing locked files during the installation, and can prevent the requirement to reboot.