Installing the EnterpriseDB
Download PostgrePlus Advanced Server 8.3 ( pgplus-advsvr-windows-83012b.exe (120MB) ) from the following site: http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/download.do. After downloading the program double click the executable file. You may need to choose a language from a list of languages. Here English has been chosen. The welcome window gets displayed as shown. Click Next.
Choose the option you need. Read notes on this page to make the choice. Here, the Oracle compatibility has been chosen.
Click Next or, choose a different location by browsing. Here the default location is accepted.
Click Next. The window that shows up displays all the various features that are available. Pick and choose the features. Here all features are chosen.
Click Next. The next window shows the links from where the JDBC drivers for connecting to Oracle and MySQL are available displayed. Click Next .
In the window that shows up you need to choose the password for the Operating System UserID and Password. Read the cautionary remarks on this page. Choose Next. At this point your anti-virus program may require you to permit to run the program.
McAfee is the anti-virus program on this computer.
In the window that gets displayed you may need to choose the administrator’s log in credentials. You may also Browse and select the Data Destination Directory. Herein the default is accepted. Click Next.
In the windows that gets displayed you may choose the type of environment for which the server will be used as well as the work load for which you may be using the server. The dynamic tuning options available are:
- Development: This is a development machine and many other applications will be running on it. Stress testing should not be performed with this configuration. EnterpriseDB will use a minimal amount of memory.
- Mixed: Several applications will be running on this machine. Choose this option for web/application servers.
- Dedicated: This machine is dedicated to run EnterpriseDB and will use available memory to optimize performance.
The Workload Profile
- Transaction Processing: The running application is a transaction intensive applications.
- General Purpose: The database will be used for transaction processing as well as complex queries and reporting.
- Reporting: The database will be used for reporting applications.
For this tutorial, the Mixed option for Server Utilization and General Purpose for Workload Profile were chosen.
Click on Next. The Summary page gets displayed showing all the options chosen.
Click on the Install button. The window with a progress bar gets displayed.
You may get a warning from the anti-virus program on your computer to allow the file to be executed.
Click OK to allow install.