Bootstrap v4, made an initial appearance around the start of this year, as a major release of the popular front-end web development library. It was followed by 10 new themes built on Bootstrap 4 with its own build tools and customer support. It has been a month since the release of Bootstrap 4 and the version 4.1 is already here. Although, Bootstrap v4.1 is not massive in terms of new features or path-breaking changes, it hosts few smaller updates. Additionally, it has a basketful of fixes, doc updates, and build tool changes.
Highlights of Bootstrap v4.1
- New custom range form control is added.
- New .carousel-fade modifier is added to switch carousel from horizontal sliding to crossfade.
- Includes a new .dropdown-item-text for plaintext dropdown items.
- New .flex-fill, .flex-grow-*, and .flex-shrink-* utilities are added.
- New .table-borderless variant for tables added.
- New .text-monospace utility added.
- New .text-body (default body color), .text-black-50 (50% opacity black), and .text-white-50 (50% opacity white) utilities added.
- New .shadow-* utilities added for quickly adding box-shadows.
- Now you can disable Popper’s positioning in dropdowns.
- Theming docs are updated so now you will not be able to use CSS variables in media queries.
- The issue with Chrome rendering CSS columns incorrectly for cards is now fixed.
- .text-hide is deprecated as it’s a dated and undocumented feature.
- Dashboard and Offcanvas examples across Firefox and IE are now fixed.
- Breadcrumbs can now use non-string values as dividers.
Find a detailed version of all fixes on the ship list and project board.
With the Bootstrap version 4, it moved to a versioned docs setup. This means after each minor release, version 4 will have a new hosted version of Bootstrap docs. This would help developers avoid breaking URLs over the web who are yet to upgrade or want to stick to older versions of Bootstrap.
The Bootstrap v4.1 release documentation is available on this new webpage and the older webpage remains the same.
The upcoming Bootstrap release v4.1.1 would solve certain bug fixes for input groups and form fields that were missed in Bootstrap v4.1 due to insufficient time.
Web Development with React and Bootstrap
Bootstrap 4 Objects, Components, Flexbox, and Layout
Getting Started with ASP.NET Core and Bootstrap 4