CockroachDB has announced a new version 2.0 with notable features in their armory. This breakthrough version has brought them one step closer to making data accessible to everyone.
CockroachDB is an open source, cloud-native SQL database, which allows you to build global, large, and resilient cloud applications. They automatically scale, recover and repair things allowing the database to survive critical disasters. It has an excellent support with popular orchestration tools such as Kubernetes and Mesosphere DC/OS to simplify and automate operations.
Some of the noteworthy changes available in CockroachDB 2.0 :
Re-adjustment to customer’s changing requirements:
- CockroachDB 2.0 support for JSON has bought more flexibility and consistency. You will be able to handle both structured and semi-structured data, thus allowing you to use multiple data models within the same database.
- Better project handling to cope up with changing customer requirements and rapid prototyping for large-scale systems.
- Now you can perform in-place transactions and inverted indices to accelerate queries on large volumes of data using CockroachDB 2.0’s Postgres-compatible JSON.
Performance and scalability Improvements:
- Developers prefer an agile methodology while building real-world applications. CockroachDB 2.0 offers better scalability standards and performance measures to deal with increasing amount of data and application needs.
- New operators to handle growing amount of user request volume with ease.
Managing multi-regional workloads:
- CockroachDB 2.0 has bolstered their efficiency in managing multi-regional data to deliver low latency applications
- New cluster dashboard helps you visualize globally distributed clusters. This means you can keep a close watch on performance bottlenecks and stability problems. You can now perform excellent customer service by adapting to multi-regional needs.
- Now you can bind the data to respective customers in the data centers in that same region using a compelling new feature called Geo-partitioning.
For the full list of updates, you can refer the release notes.