This week, Cockroach Labs announced the availability of Managed CockroachDB. CockroachDB, a geo-distributed database, is a fully hosted and managed service, created and run by Cockroach Labs. It is an open source tool that makes deploying, scaling, and managing CockroachDB effortless. Last year, the company announced version 1.0 of CockroachDB and $27 million in Series B financing, which was led by Redpoint along with the participation from Benchmark, GV, Index Ventures and FirstMark.
Managed CockroachDB is also cloud agnostic and available on AWS and GCP. The goal is to allow development teams to focus on building highly scalable applications without worrying about infrastructure operations.
CockroachDB’s design makes data easy by providing an industry-leading model for horizontal scalability and resilience to accommodate fast-growing businesses. It also improves the ability to move data closer to the customers depending upon their geo-location.
[box type=”shadow” align=”” class=”” width=””] Fun Fact: Why the name ‘Cockroach’?
In a post, published by Cockroach Labs, three years back, Spencer Kimball, CEO at Cockroach Labs, said, “You’ve heard the theory that cockroaches will be the only survivors post-apocalypse? Turns out modern database systems have a lot to gain by emulating one of nature’s oldest and most successful designs. Survive, replicate, proliferate. That’s been the cockroach model for geological ages, and it’s ours too.” [/box]
Features of Managed CockroachDB
- Always on service: Managed CockroachDB is an always on service for critical applications as it automatically replicates data across three availability zones for single region deployments.
- As a globally scalable distributed SQL database, CockroachDB also supports geo-partitioned clusters at whatever scale the business demands. Cockroach Labs manages the hardware provisioning, setup and configuration for the managed clusters so that they are optimized for performance.
- Since CockroachDB is cloud agnostic, one can migrate from one cloud service provider to another at peak load with zero downtime.
- Automatic upgrades to the latest releases, and hourly incremental backups of the data makes the working more easier. The Cockroach Labs team provides, 24×7 monitoring, and enterprise grade security for all the customers.
- CockroachDB provides the capabilities for building ultra-resilient, high-scale and global applications.
- It features distributed SQL with ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability) transactions.
- Features like, cluster visualization, priority support, native JSON support and automated scaling makes it even more unique.
Read more about this announcement on the Cockroach Labs official website.
SQLite adopts the rule of St. Benedict as its Code of Conduct, drops it to adopt Mozilla’s community participation guidelines, in a week
MariaDB acquires Clustrix to give database customers ‘freedom from Oracle lock-in’