The whole world of social media has had a meltdown this week. After a major outage on Facebook, and it’s family of apps, Apple’s iCloud service was also down for most of yesterday. Users reported trouble signing into iCloud and accessing their accounts. Other Apple services like Photos, Mail, Backup, Find My Friends, Contacts, Calendars, also witnessed downtime. Apple Stores are also reportedly affected by the outage and not currently able to process transactions. Apple’s system status page noted the downtime across various iCloud services.
@AppleSupport Is iCloud down or something? I am absolutely freaking out, changing my email passwords, trying to log in on every device. I see no sign of being compromised on my end. If this is a maintenance, a warning on my devices would have been very nice.
— rustic (@wildrustic) July 4, 2019
2) Then Apple iCloud says it cannot connect to the server to verify. I have to re-reverify my devices. I try to login again. Now Apple iCloud says it'll be down an hour for maintenance.
— Tom Schmitz (@TomSchmitz) July 4, 2019
@AppleSupport when is iCloud going to be working again? My phone is broken and @Apple store says they can’t help me today because it’s a national outage to transfer my data and they have never seen this before.
— Shannon Benovitz (@SBenovitz) July 4, 2019
- Apple Pay and Apple Cash: Apple Pay card holders were unable to add, suspend, delete, or use existing cards in Apple Pay. Some users were also not be able to set up Apple Cash, send and receive money, or transfer to bank with Apple Cash.
- Find my friend: Users were unable to find the location of their friends or devices, list registered devices, play a sound on their device, remotely wipe a device, or put the device in lost mode.
- Find my iPhone: Users may have been unable to find the location of their friends or devices, list registered devices, play a sound on their device, remotely wipe a device, or put the device in lost mode.
- iCloud: Issues were found in Account & Sign In, iWork, iCloud Backup, Bookmarks & Tabs, Calendar, Contacts, Drive, Keychain, Mail, Notes, Reminders, and Storage Upgrades
Developer tools and third-party apps were also affected. According to 9to5Mac, a user who was trying to get her iPhone fixed at an Apple Store was told that the outage is nationwide (She was from the U.S). However down detector, an outage tracking website reported that issues were also observed in some parts of Europe, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil.
All services have since been resolved.
What is surprising is that Apple has not informed or warned its users about the outage. There was no tweet or update released. Only the status page was updated.